Building & Safety Division
Sparks City Hall
431 Prater Way
Sparks, NV 89431
Phone: (775) 353-2306
Fax: (775) 353-2470
Hours: 8:00 to 5:00 Monday - Friday
The 2012 International Energy Conservation Code has bee adopted
Effective July 1, 2016
As of 10/31/2016 we will be launching to our new Accela program! With that, we are changing the way we process Prompt Permits and will no longer issue permits via email or fax. We are encouraging all of our customers to go to https://aca.accela.com/one/ and create your own login. Once you create a login, you may apply for your permit online, see comments from plan examiners, and check status. If you do not wish to apply online, we will accept applications via email or fax but will not be able to send them back. If you wish to receive your permit card electronically, an online account with a valid email address is required. Lastly, we are no longer storing credit card information and you will need to submit payments through your online account or bring a valid form of payment in person. If you have any questions about the transitition to our new systems, please give us a call at 775-353-2306.
Permit Services Division
Please see links to the left for permit applications and additional information. We have tried to organize this information with our customers' needs in mind by separating commercial, residential, and other projects.
Building & Safety Division
Provide efficient plan review, permitting, inspection and public education to ensure a safe-built environment, to protect citizens and visitors of City of Sparks.
We accomplish this by:
- Ensuring the Health and Safety of the Public
- Providing information to the public
- Working with other City departments for a coordinated effort
- Verifying that structures are designed and built in compliance with construction codes
- Employing qualified, professional, experienced staff in code administration, plan review and inspections
- Protecting and serving the public by assuring safe building practices through active code enforcement
Building permits are necessary for construction work performed on any portion of structural features including the roof, frame, walls and foundations. Separate permits may be required for electrical, plumbing and mechanical work related to your project. A building permit is required to demolish, construct, alter, repair or change the occupancy of a structure.
If you're thinking about replacing your water heater or converting part of your garage into an office, ask yourself one simple question before you open your tool box: "Do I need a permit?" Even small home improvement projects may require a building permit. Faulty installations can cause fires, flood damage and other hazards, and also force you to make costly repairs. Permits and the inspections that come with them protect your family's safety and the value of your property by ensuring the work meets adopted building codes.
Examples of work that requires a permit
- Water heaters and Furnaces
- Pools and Spas
- Sheds and play houses over 200 sq ft
- Relocating or addition or plumbing and electrical
Examples of work that does not require a permit
- Replace existing doors and windows
- Replacing floor covering, cabinets, and molding
- Replacing light or plumbing fixtures
- Clearing stoppages or repairing leaks without altering existing plumbing
- Replacing stucco or drywall if less than 100 sq ft
For more information regarding projects that need a permit, please click to see Section 15.05.104.2 of the Sparks Municipal Code .