The City of Sparks is one of the leading providers of kids out-of-school programs in the Truckee Meadows. Year after year, evaluations for the youth watch programs cite the staff as one of the key attributes and the service as a lifeline for working parents.
Approximately 800 to 1,000 children in preschool through 7th grade are served daily with age appropriate recreational activities designed to promote socialization and peer interaction in a fun, safe environment.
Upcoming programs offered:
Summer Outburst - June 13-August 5, 2016. (SEE ACTIVITY SCHEDULES BELOW)
Summer Adventure - June 13 - August 5, 2016
Free Neighborhood Playground Program - June 13 - July 29, 2016 (See details below)
Note: Please read the Revised Cancellation Policy.
Our Summer Outburst program is held June 13 - August 5, 2016 for youth entering 1st - 7th grade, features fun-themed weeks with age appropriate activities, including arts and crafts, swimming, field trips, bowling, active games, Wild Island water slides and golf, skating, special guests and more! These activities are included in the registration fee. Children will truly benefit from this recreation experience by meeting new friends and having FUN in a safe environment. We attempt to maintain a 10:1 participant to staff ratio for the younger age groups and a 12:1 ratio for the older age groups. Program hours are 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Recreation Gym, 98 Richards Way. Please refer to the following regarding participation in the 2015 program.
- Emergency Information Form: A NEW emergency information form is required prior to the first date of attendance. The form must be submitted in person by parent/guardian with picture ID (NO EXCEPTIONS) at the Recreation Office, 98 Richards Way. Office hours are Monday - Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Phone: (775) 353-2376.
- Parent Manual - Includes everything you need to know to participate in the Summer Outburst program.
- Rates: $144 or $120 for residents of Sparks (proof of residency required) per session. Drop-in rate is $43/day or $36/day for residents of Sparks. Drop-in (single day) registration begins the Thursday prior to the desired session and payment must occur through the Recreation Office (online not available for this option). Payments for full-week sessions received after 5:30 p.m. on Thursday or 12:00 p.m. (online) the Friday prior to the week of attendance are subject to a $5 late fee.
- Online Registration Instructions (Use of mobile devices/tablets not recommended for this online system).
- Cancellation Policy
- ACTIVITY SCHEDULES: Week 2 (June 20-24): 1st-2nd Grade; 3rd-4th Grade; 5th-7th Grade; Week 3 (June 27 - July 1): 1st-2nd Grade; 3rd-4th Grade; 5th-7th Grade. Week 4 (July 5-8): 1st-2nd Grade; 3rd-4th Grade; 5th-7th Grade.
The Kid Konnection before/after school program for Kindergarten (full day) through 6th grade operates on school days at 15 elementary schools located throughout Sparks and Spanish Springs. Hours of operation are 7 a.m. until school starts for before school, and, from the time school is dismissed until 6 p.m. for after school. The following schools participate in the Kid Konnection program: Bud Beasley, Lloyd Diedrichsen, Katherine Dunn, Florence Drake (after only), Jesse Hall, Lena Juniper, Alice Maxwell, Robert Mitchell, Marvin Moss, Lincoln Park, Miguel Sepulveda, Spanish Springs, Alyce Taylor, Edward Van Gorder, Jerry Whitehead. Please note the following to prepare for participation in the 2016-17 program:
- Emergency Information Form: A new emergency information form is required at the start of each school year prior to the first date of attendance. The form must be submitted in person by parent/guardian with picture ID (NO EXCEPTIONS) and proof of residence at the Recreation Office, 98 Richards Way. Office hours are Monday - Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Phone: (775) 353-2376.
- Parent Manual: Includes everything you need to know to participate in the Kid Konnection program.
- Rates: If you pay no later than the week prior to attendance, the cost is $5 per child/day for the morning program and $8.75 per child/day for the after school program. 'Week of' registration is $10 per child/day for the morning program and $15 per child/day for the after school program. Definitely a cost savings to avoid 'week of payments'! In order to secure the early rate, payment must be received by 5:30 p.m. on Thursdays (through the office by phone or in person) or (NEW THIS YEAR) BY NOON on Friday online. Online registration is not available for 'week of' registrations.
- Cancellations/Transfers: Same day cancellations/transfers are not permitted. Cancellation requests submitted less than 14 days prior to the date of attendance are subject to a $3 processing fee (NEW THIS YEAR). Read the full cancellation policy here.
- DOWNLOAD THE CANCELLATION/REFUND REQUEST FORM here.
- Monthly calendars: August, September, October
- Online Registration Instructions: Online registration is permitted after a current Emergency Information form has been submitted/processed. Use of mobile devices/tablets not recommended for this online system.
NELL J. REDFIELD FREE NEIGHBORHOOD PLAYGROUND PROGRAM
Children in 1st – 6th grade who attend elementary schools in west Sparks*, are invited to take part in a free drop-in playground program this summer offered through the City of Sparks Parks and Recreation Department. The program will take place Monday – Friday, June 13 to July 29, at Ardmore Park (corner of 12th St. and Oddie Blvd.). Program hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
The Nell J. Redfield Free Neighborhood Playground Program is designed for children who benefit from participation in an organized group setting. It is not a day care alternative, but a recreation program operated on a drop-in basis where children are free to come and go. Playground Leaders coordinate organized outdoor games, arts and crafts, sports, and other special activities. A free lunch is provided by the Food Bank of Northern Nevada on a daily basis.
An Emergency Information form must be submitted prior to participation in the program. Parents are required to show proof of address at the time of registration and a current year report card for their child.
Registration for the Nell J. Redfield Free Playground Program is held at the Larry D. Johnson Community Center, 1200 12th St. Space is limited and participants will be taken on first come, first served basis each day. The program will be closed on July 4. For more information, call (775) 353-7780 or e-mail email@example.com.
Special thanks to the Nell J. Redfield Foundation for their support of the Free Neighborhood Playground Program.
*Elementary schools located in west Sparks:
For more information, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (775) 353-2376.